Harwoods Heritage

Harwoods has been the leading motor dealership group in the South of England for over 80 years. The company has built up a loyal base of customers through its dedication to customer service which remains at the forefront of our business ethos.

Remaining fiercely independent in a market dominated by large Plcs, Harwoods has been able to offer customers unrivalled levels of care from both a sales and aftersales perspective.

From our state-of-the-art showrooms, to our impressive offering of prestigious brands - including Bentley, Aston Martin, Audi, Jaguar, Land Rover and BMW - and our range of dealerships across the South of England, we will be able to meet your motoring needs.

With strong links with the local communities forged over a number of years, the company has also built up a proud reputation for its support of charities, schools and fundraising initiatives.

Chairman Guy Harwood has made sure staff will always be at the forefront of the business and the company looks to promote from within with many of the team enjoying long careers at Harwoods.

We are proud of our manufacturers, our customers, our staff and our long list of exclusive affinity partners that now help us create the Harwoods Brand. We currently work with Goodwood Estates including the World Famous Motor Circuit, Goodwood Hotel and Spa, Goodwood House and The Kennels. We have luxury hotel partners such as South Lodge and its Masterchef winning Kitchens, Cowdray Estate is the home of Polo and hosts the Gold Cup every year. With more to name we could talk all day but rest assured, Harwoods only Partner with companies that share our ethos of the customer coming first, on time and every time.


2
3
2
3
2
3

A Brief History from 1931

1931
Harwoods established by Wally Harwood, father of the present Chairman, Guy Harwood, and based at London Road, Pulborough.

1939-1945
Harwoods manufacture munitions at its Pulborough site, for the duration of World War II. The motor business continues to expand after 1945.

Pre-1965
Guy Harwood began riding out for Ryan Price at Findon at the age of 18, Guy would go on to win 40 point to point winners and 14 National Hunt Races. Over the next few years he started working as a pupil assistant trainer to Bryan Marshall when he was 21 and five years later in 1965 he commenced training under permit.

1965
The present Harwoods head office site at London Road is purchased and developed. It originally consisted of a bicycle repair shop and just three petrol pumps.

Guy Harwood purchases Coombelands Farm which at the time was an arable and dairy farm. Guy Harwood soon established this into Coombelands Racing Stables which would become a state of the art training complex and succeeded in attracting some of the finest horses and biggest owners in the world. Guy went on to train over 1600 winners including 30 group 1 winners and the great Dancing Brave.

1979
The first of Harwoods' Land Rover franchises is awarded.

1981
Harwoods secure the Rolls Royce/Bentley franchise.

1984
Facilities at Pulborough are expanded to accommodate Jaguar/Daimler with Rolls Royce/Bentley.

1989
The Land Rover Centre at Pulborough is redeveloped to cater for the ever increasing range of models.

1992
Guy Harwood joins the garage business full time. The size and profile of the Group is increased as is the investment and management structure.

1994
The first of the recent acquisitions take place. The site at Brighton Road, Coulsdon is purchased for the expansion of Land Rover into Surrey.

Investment is made into providing additional Rover and later, MG, premises at Codmore Hill, Pulborough.

The Pulborough petrol station is rebranded to Esso with an upgraded forecourt shop resembling a modern convenience store.

1997
Jaguar relocates from Pulborough to a new state of the art facility at Terminus Road, Chichester.

MG Rover moves to the former Poplar Garage site at Horsham Road, Five Oaks, as the franchise expands.

Harwoods establish a substantial Accident Repair Centre covering Croydon at Coulsdon North Industrial Estate (in 2005 this site was awarded Land Rover and VW Group approval, also covering Audi, Bentley, Seat and Skoda franchises.

1999
Express Factors, based at Terminus Road, Chichester, is appointed as a wholesale distributor of Rover parts, along with Five Oaks, which continue to provide MG Rover parts today.

2000
Harwoods purchase their first Audi venture at Eastern Road, Portsmouth from the AFN Group, branded Portsmouth Audi.

2002
Harwoods are awarded the Aston Martin franchise, to operate alongside Jaguar at Terminus Road, Chichester.

2004
The Testwood Motor Group, Southampton Audi Accident Repair Centre and MAN Truck business are purchased by Harwoods. Southampton Audi becomes their second Audi dealership, based at Bournemouth Road, Chandlers Ford.

2005
Augmentation continues with our Truck business, with the further MAN/ERF Truck franchise is purchased from KL Commercials, covering the west of the territory.

Harwoods acquire their third Land Rover dealership at the former Testers premises, Stanfords End, Edenbridge.

Five Oaks Accident Repair Centre receive approvals from Aston Martin, Jaguar, Land Rover and the VW Group.

A Jaguar parts facility is launched at Pulborough and the Chichester site becomes a specialist repairer for Land Rover.

2006
The Truck centre site at Nutsey Lane, Totton undergoes redevelopment as the former Testwood and KL Commericals businesses are amalgamated.

Harwoods purchase Bentley Straight Eight New Forest, based at Bramshaw, Lyndhurst.

The Five Oaks site is re-franchised and developed into becoming Harwoods' third Audi business, covering the Horsham and Billingshurst areas.

2007
Harwooods develop their Jaguar and Land Rover franchises into Hampshire by purchasing Webbers of Basingstoke, which also houses the Isuzu and Subaru marques.

Harwoods Truck Centre is relocated in its entirety to Nutsey Lane, following a large-scale redevelopment of the site.

2008
Harwoods acquire a further Land Rover dealership based in Tonbridge, Kent and formerly known as Hunt Grange.

Testwood Accident Repair Centre relocates to new, state-of-the-art premises.

Pulborough becomes the first of the Land Rover sites to undergo a showroom transformation in line with 21st Century brand standards.

The Chichester site housing Aston Martin and Jaguar is redeveloped to the latest franchise specifications.

2009
Basingstoke moves to a purpose built site in the Houndmills Plaza to home Jaguar and Land Rover along with Manufacturer Servicing for BMW, Mini, Subaru & Isuzu

2011

Harwoods Purchase Brighton Jaguar

Purchase of Brighton Jaguar to add to the Harwoods Group and cover the Sussex Area including Eastbourne for Jaguar and Used Land Rover sales. We have not changed the teams from the previous owners but have instilled process where needed to make our customers experience the best it can possible be

2012

Harwoods Purchase Gatwick Jaguar and Land Rover

Purchase of Gatwick Jaguar and Land Rover – Now renamed, 'Harwoods Jaguar of Crawley' and 'Harwoods Land Rover of Crawley'.

2015

A new vision for Harwoods with our 2020 plan now in place and the launch of our new fully dynamic website to compliment further the brands we represent.