Your right to complain

Harwoods’ vision is to create memorable experiences for our customers. Very occasionally however we may fall short of expectation and as such, we have a procedure in place to aid in the successful resolution of a complaint.

Please be assured that your complaint will be treated seriously. We treasure our customers and want to do all we can to support them.

What if I am unhappy?

It is important to let your point of contact (e.g. Sales Executive/Service Advisor) know you are unhappy in the first instance and give them the opportunity to put things right. It may be appropriate for the departmental Manager to be involved, in which case they may be able to sort the problem out for you.

If they are unable to, you should contact the site’s Head of Business, either by letter, email, telephone or making an appointment to see them.

If a successful outcome is not achieved, the next step is to move to the formal process.

How to make a formal complaint

If your complaint relates to matters that have led to an expression of dissatisfaction with our business, our Group Customer Relations Manager, Simon Elkin (, should be contacted with information regarding your complaint, which he will investigate in conjunction with the relevant site.

If your complaint relates to financial services and/or general insurance regulated product sales, our Group Finance Manager, Martin Kay ( should be contacted with information regarding your complaint, which he will investigate.

If a complaint is received, we aim to assess it fairly, consistently and promptly, to determine whether it should be upheld. If your complaint is upheld, you will receive an apology and details of any appropriate remedial action or redress, that we may be taking to put things right.

If you remain dissatisfied, you may request a further review of your complaint by putting this in writing to the directors (

Review of your complaint

The review will be conducted by the appropriate Director under the supervision of the Chief Executive, who will provide a final response within 8 weeks of the date the formal complaint was made.

Referring your complaint

Should you still be unhappy, you can ask for your complaint to be considered by an Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) provider.

The Motor Ombudsman

The Motor Ombudsman is a certified ADR provider who can assist with disputes that arise between consumers and Code-accredited businesses. They must be contacted within 12 months of either making your complaint or receiving our final response.

Contact The Motor Ombudsman

By post:

The Motor Ombudsman
71 Great Peter Street

By email:

Via a downloaded/completed enquiry form available at:


The Financial Ombudsman

The Financial Ombudsman is a certified ADP provider and the UK’s official expert in sorting out problems with financial services.

Contact The Financial Ombudsman

By phone:

0800 023 4567

By email:

Via a complaint form available at:


Customer Reviews

  • "We felt valued even though buying a used vehicle. Helped us find the right spec used car that, even though 2 years old, was like new when delivered. Harwoods even reimbursed our fuel cost when we returned the vehicle for a minor rectification. We are sure that the aftersales team will look after us just as well."

    Alan Osborne

  • "Very friendly nothing too much trouble, always at the end of a phone"

    Roger Nichols

  • "Always get extremely good, attentive service from Graham at Portsmouth dealership. It's the second car bought from there so very pleased and happy to recommend. Great after service too."


  • "Excellent Service, fab showroom. Bought an F type jaguar from Harwoods Basingstoke. Couldn’t fault service esp from Wayne Horlock in Sales. Car was built very quickly to my spec. Helpful run through of car operation when I picked it up. Couldn’t be happier with service or amazing car!"

    Libby Martin

Read More Reviews

Find Your Nearest Harwoods Dealer

Operating throughout the South of England, the Harwoods brand is one of the most renowned dealerships in the area.

We have locations in Surrey, Sussex, Hampshire, Kent and London